What you should know
about internal parasites:
Your dog may be at risk from heartworms, which cause a potentially
deadly infection of the heart and lungs, and from roundworms and
hookworms, which are the most common parasites to infect the
intestines of dogs, and which may even be transmitted to people.
|What you can do to protect
Fortunately, heartworm disease is 100% preventable, and intestinal
worms can be treated and controlled, with a highly effective, safe and
convenient monthly medication that's easy for our dog to take and easy
for you to give: HEARTGARD PLUS.
HEARTGARD is well tolerated. All dogs should be tested for heartworm
infection before starting a preventive program. Following the use of
HEARTGARD Plus, digestive and neurological side effects have rarely
been reported. For more information, contact your veterinarian or visit
Heartworms-- a real and
- Over 250,000 dogs in the US
were reported positive for
heartworms in 2004
- Heartworms live in the hearts and
lungs of infected dogs and cats.
- Mosquitoes transmit heartworm
larvae from infected dogs to
healthy dogs and cats.
- Left untreated, heartworm
disease may be fatal to your pet.
Signs of heartworm
infection in dogs include:
- Reduced ability to exercise
Roundworms-- a deadly
- More than 90% of puppies are
born with roundworms or acquire
them shortly after birth from their
- Dogs of any age can get
roundworms from an environment
contaminated by the feces of
- Roundworms live in the intestines
of infected dogs and may cause
obstructions, depriving their hosts
- Serious infections may be fatal to
Signs of roundworm
infection in dogs include
- Swollen abdomen ("Pot belly")
- Adult worms visible in the feces
HEARTGARD Plus treats and controls
the 2 most common types of roundworms.
the "yuck" factor
- Hookworms are potentially lethal,
especially to puppies.
- Hookworms attach themselves to
the intestinal walls of infected
dogs and feed on their host's
- Dogs may be infected with
hookworms by accidentally
ingesting larvae in contaminated
soil or blades of grass.
- Hookworm larvae also infect dogs
by penetrating directly through
Signs of hookworm
infection in dogs include:
No other monthly preventive
product treats and controls
more kinds of roundworms
Protecting pets protects people.
- The same roundworms and hookworms that can infect your dog may also
infect you or your family.
- the centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimate more then
10,000 cases of human infection with roundworms in the US each year.
- Dogs with roundworm and hookworm infections may increase the risk of
human exposure, especially in children.
- People may acquire these worms through contact with objects or areas
contaminated by the fecal matter of an infected dog:
- Toys, sporting equipment or
- Playgrounds, beaches and
- Crawl spaces under porches and
- Parks and other public spaces
frequented by pets
Damage to internal organs
Red, itchy skin rashes
(commonly referred to as
Severe stomach aches and
Help reduce the risk of exposing other pets-- and your family-- to
roundworms and hookworms by giving your dog HEARTGARD Plus every
month. HEARTGARD Plus treats and controls roundworms and hookworms
that may affect people.
HEARTGARD Plus is the veterinarians' #1
preventive of choice because it offers all this:
- 100% protection against heartworm disease
- No other monthly preventive product treats and
controls more kinds of roundworms and hookworms
- A wide margin of safety for all dogs and puppies over
6 weeks of age
- Real-Beef Chewables that dogs love
- The Plus guarantee of Satisfaction
Use of HEARTGARD Plus once a month as directed not
only helps to protect your dog, but may reduce the risk of
spreading parasites to other pets and to people.
Animal Clinic, PA